Saturday, August 22, 2009

Welcome to the Gregory Dunham Studio Blog.


Welcome! (CÉAD MÍLE FÁILTE)
This is my first blog post. I'm a Contemporary Realist working primarily in watercolor. I gather subject matter from all over Maine and New England with a particular fondness for Monhegan Island and working harbors, wherever they're still found. Trips to Cornwall & Devon, UK and more recently to Ireland were inspiring and provided plenty of amazing subjects. The painting pictured here is the first watercolor from a recent trip to Ireland, "Walking the Claddagh Quay, Galway". The Claddagh was formerly a fishing village, just outside the city walls and thought to be one of the oldest fishing ports in Ireland. The boat in the painting is called a Galway Hooker. This painting was included in a recent exhibition: "Maine Artists and the Figure" held at the Courthouse Gallery in Ellsworth, ME. and has been sold.

Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you are interested in any of the paintings shown here, most are for sale, either through the galleries that represent me or directly from my studio. Thanks for visiting.

2 comments:

  1. HEY GREG....THAT PAINTING OF THE GALWAY HOOKER IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS...I LOVE THE COLORS, THE DESIGN, THE TENSION BETWEEN THE BACKGROUND AND FOREGROUNDS....REALLY YUMMY....MMMMMMM....MMMM!
    CHEERS, BECCA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca. I was really happy with it, especially the richness of the color in the boat and the echo in the clothes the woman is wearing. I don't often feature figures in my work, but this one just worked perfectly.
    Greg.

    ReplyDelete